Friday, August 12, 2011

Back from the Brink...

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to share.  I am not sure what I would have taken them of:)  I just wanted to report that I am on the upswing.  These last two weeks have been interesting to say the least.  Most of you that read this probably have communicated with me in some way, shape, or form but just in case I will catch you up. 

The surgery went well for the most part.  The only slightly annoying thing was that it was delayed by 2.5 hours because Dr. Mitchell had some nasty cases before mine that were unexpected.  I was very hungry and tired, to say the least, by the time that I was wheeled back into the OR.  Anyway, it took about 20 mins (I was told) and I was out of there and home before I knew it.  The first 5 days were painful but not too bad.  My mom came, which was amazing and helped with the kiddos and the house stuff.  Between my mom and Chris, they were handling it all and I was free to rest and eat popsicles.  I would get tired but nothing too bad.  I even switched to Advil and was off the hydrocodone.  I guess I got a little cocky thinking I was in the clear.  I even joked with Karen that we would probably be paling around together the following week...

Well day 6 and 7.  Hmmmm how do I describe the pain?  I am not sure I can.  I honestly thought I was going to rip out my throat.  There was nothing I could do but cry.  Especially day 7.  I just laid in my room and cried.  I was over eating mushy food but I was starving.  Every time I swallowed it felt like a knife was jabbing into my ear and down my throat.  Sleeping hurt because you woke up with a dry throat and that was 20 times worse than the worst pain I was feeling awake.  I was in agony.  I felt bad for my kids because they just wanted me back.  Chris was feeling terrible because he didn't know what to do for me (which was nothing).  Karen was holding it all together for me.  I kept thinking that the next day would be better and really hoping so because if not I didn't know if I was going to make it.  Seriously, I am not being dramatic.  I was angry and grouchy and didn't want to see or talk to anyone. 

Luckily, since then it has been better.  I am still not completely pain free but I am better.  I can eat more regular food.  The morning is still the worst but it isn't as bad.  I am sleeping better.  I am back to alternating the hydrocodone with the Advil.  (Oh and PS didn't loose a pound:( what the heck!) I don't regret doing the operation but I never want to experience pain like that again.  I urge anyone whose child needs the surgery to do it the younger the better because as an adult...hell. 

Lastly, I want to give a big shout out to everyone who helped me.  My mom and Karen especially.  I honestly couldn't have made it without you.  You were amazing and helped with the kids and the chores and led me through the worst pain I have ever experienced.  Karen you have seen me in my darkest moment and I appreciate just doing what needing to be done:)  That is friendship right there!  Thanks Nicole for taking my kids and for all the people who brought food and checked in with me.  That meant a lot to know you were thinking of me:)  I am sorry if I was short with any of you but there were days that I literally didn't want to see anyone.  I am hoping to be 100% shortly and resume the crazy world of Siri!!! xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling 100% better now. So glad your husband and your mom were so fantastic!

LAURA said...

I talked to Chris at Liv's birthday and he said day 3 was your worst, sounds like it went downhill from there:( You're right, much easier recovery with kids, us old people don't heal as quickly. Hope you are 100% now! Hugs