Monday, June 27, 2011

The bad, the ugly, and the good...

Oh yes, I am fully aware of my title.  This last weekend, we packed up and trekked back over to Seattle because Chris and I signed up to do the Rock n Roll half marathon.  I was still pouting after my last race but I figured "hey what the heck...let's just have fun and forget about the other one."  (pause and laughter)  Now, I will have to set it up for the sake of the story and because I am usually a level headed person (ok well when it comes to running I am).  First, I was very tired from the week, also my last few runs had been not that great.  I wasn't sure why but I just couldn't find my groove.  Also, I am a firm believer that all people regardless of their ability should be welcome to participate in a race.  Ok with that being said, we decided to stay the night where the race was to begin.  This was a very smart move.  I slept great and woke up ready...but because I didn't know that protocal for Rock n Roll 1/2 marathons, I didn't realize that you needed to fudge a bit on your time because they put you in corrals so that way 40,000 people don't rush the starting line at the same time.  Well let's just say that we were 31 out of 39 so we started an hour after the first corral did.  The weather was great and the course was not that bad, but I was still kind of having bad juju about the last race so I wore my hydration belt. That turned out to just be annoying because it was pushing on my stomach the whole time.  We were dodging TONS of walkers (which is fine that they were there but I wish they started after me). Then came the ugly...about mile 10 I tripped and almost fell (and twisted my ankle).  I had flashbacks of Bloomsday last year and I started to have a panic attack.  Then I just full on started crying.  I swear Chris was like "who are you and what did you do with Siri?"  I was so frustrated that I couldn't find my groove and have a fun run.  I was tired, in pain and just wanted to be done. I told Chris to leave me all dramatic like but of course he didn't because he is the best husband.  Well we still finished pretty well considering I was a hot mess (2:40).  The good: Dave and Jess Toillion kicked butt like rock stars and finished in 1:24 and 1:33 respectively!  And after we showered, we went to dinner at Lola in Seattle which was AMAZING and I drank some wine to ease the pain.  (ok 4 glasses) I decided that I need a break from long distance running for awhile and of course I can't end on a bad note so there will be another, but I need some time to re-evaluate what is going on:) Thank god the only pictures I got were from dinner!

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

oh Siri! I'm sorry you had a bad run! But 2:40 is still a pretty darn good time, for falling and having a melt down :) and it's cool that you did the Rock-n-Roll marathon... I'm considering doing the full (Rock-n-Roll) down in AZ in 2013. Ha, I say that now, but we'll see. And for your friend, 1:33 is pretty damn good! wow!!

PS: I still can't believe you've never been to the coast!