Wednesday, April 17, 2013

We've Gone Paleo around here.

It's time.  It's time to stop using pregnancy and nursing as an excuse to treat my body like crap and fill it with crap.  I took a look at the picture from the Space Needle and realized although a sweet picture of me with the kids, it was time to get this baby weight off! Apparently Chris was having similar feelings about himself.  He has been intensely working out and eating healthy (WAY healthier than I have) for a while now.  He was feeling really frustrated about how he just couldn't lose the last 15lbs and keep it off.  He has some good friends who are doing the 30 day paleo challenge and decided why not.   Well if you know my husband you know he doesn't do anything half way. Over spring break he read 4 books on the paleo diet and then decided he wanted to do it.  A long story later, which included a "fight", tears, me being stubborn, etc...I agreed.  I must have sounded like a drug user.  Every excuse in the book why it wasn't the right time for me.  Chris was as calm as a cucumber as he usually is with my irrational rantings.  He simply said "babe, you don't have to do it."  Like hell I wasn't going to do it.  If it worked I didn't want to be 2 weeks behind him pissed off that I didn't do it in the first place.  I told him so many things: I wasn't going to change my coffee order (which included a packet of sugar), I was going to eat what I craved and if that included sugar or pasta then so be it.  (Again as calm as a cucumber)  For those of you who don't know what the paleo diet is...it is basically very high protein, vegetables and fruit.  No diary, no refined sugar, no gluten, no grains (rice etc) and no beans.  Ok...the report is in: I feel amazing!  Like really amazing.  I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks.  I am full, I have no cravings, I have cut the sugar out of my coffee order, and I have zero, yes zero cravings.  I don't miss any of it.  I don't miss the 3 o'clock sugar crash that makes me cranky with my kids.  My milk is still just fine for nursing.  I never thought I could have this much energy and lose weight and not be hungry 24/7.  I am all about what works for you and your lifestyle to help you achieve your best self.  This just happens to be ours.  So far half way through the 30 days and I don't plan to stop.  I am not saying that I will NEVER eat refined sugar again or pasta, but I definitely am more conscience but what goes into my body and how it makes me feel.  Anyway, looking forward to the few races I have signed up for in the next few months and getting my old self back!!!  I will report in for the next 15 days and see if it keeps up!  I have about 30 more lbs to go and hoping that I am back in fighting form for Sept.  Going on a special weekend where I will be in a swimsuit!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Siri, you ALWAYS have a way of inspiring me. And, that husband of yours . . .well, I've known since the days of glow in the dark boxers in a dorm room, that he was your perfect compliment. Calm as a cucumber . . . just when you needed a veggie reminder :-) I'll have to read about this diet; I've never heard of it. MISS YOU!